Butternut Squash & Toasted Pine Nut Risotto
Winter is the perfect time of year for warm, hearty dishes like this Butternut Squash & Toasted Pine Nut Risotto. It’s a great comfort food on those cold, winter nights and is perfect pairing with a glass of our newly released full-bodied 2013 REININGER Mr. Owl’s Red.
1 roasted butternut squash
1 large onion diced 1/4 inch
2 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbsp picked fresh thyme
4 cups arborio rice
1/2 gallon Veal Stock simmering (can substitute with chicken or vegetable stock)
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup fresh chevre
1/2 bottle white wine
1/4 unsalted butter
3 Tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Roast the butternut squash until soft, spoon out the flesh and reserve.
- Toast the pine nuts until golden brown.
- In a large sauté pan on medium high heat sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the arborio rice and lightly toast.
- Stirring constantly, add the herbs and the garlic.
- Add the white wine and stir until liquid is cooked out.
- One large ladle at a time start adding the veal stock, stirring constantly, and letting the liquid be completely absorbed in between additions.
- Continue adding stock until the risotto is almost done (this may take more or less veal stock then mentioned, but the goal is a soft and barely noticeable crunch to the rice).
- At this point stir in the butternut squash, pine nuts, and brown sugar, season to taste and finish the risotto with butter, chevre, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve immediately.