Week three of Washington Wine Month is all about Syrah & Barbecue! A few nights ago winery partner and GM Kelly Tucker celebrated a birthday dinner at home featuring Grilled Rack of Lamb with a Blueberry Syrah reduction sauce. The Tuckers say the sauce’s bang for buck ratio is huge and takes very little time or brain power to make. The lamb was barbecued outdoors with a simple rub of oil, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. This sauce is not only delicious atop a rack of lamb, but goes great with other grilled meats!
- 1 cup Reininger or Helix Syrah
- 1 medium shallot, finely minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary, or a combination
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2-4 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into two pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 oz. crumbled goat cheese, optional
- Place chopped shallots and pinch of salt into a skillet or saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-heat until the shallots begin to lose their moisture and become lightly browned and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add blueberries and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Syrah, turn off heat, and stir mixture to deglaze the pan.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar into the blueberry sauce; add a pinch of salt.
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer to reduce sauce by half, 4-6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cold butter, one piece at a time. When butter is melted, check seasonings and add more salt if needed.